This unit includes a variety of complex texts, resources, and assignments. This unit focuses on the essential questions: 1) What is love?; 2) How does one achieve love?; and 3) What is the impact of the pursuit of love on the individual?
The unit includes the following:
· Adolescence and the Teenage Crush
· Would you Marry a Stranger?
· Should we Scoff at the Idea of Love at First Sight?
· The Gift of the Magi
· The Raven
· Was it a Dream?
· Sonnet 130: My Mistress’ Eyes are Nothing like the Sun
· 2 pre-assessment writing assignments
· 7 reading graphic organizers
· 4 reading quizzes & answer keys
· 1 characterization assignment (Snapchat story)
· 1 pager menu & template
· CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.1: Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
· CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.2: Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; provide an objective summary of the text.
· CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.3: Analyze how complex characters (e.g., those with multiple or conflicting motivations) develop over the course of a text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme.
· CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the cumulative impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone (e.g., how the language evokes a sense of time and place; how it sets a formal or informal tone).
· CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.9-10.5: Analyze how an author's choices concerning how to structure a text, order events within it (e.g., parallel plots), and manipulate time (e.g., pacing, flashbacks) create such effects as mystery, tension, or surprise.